2002: The Department of Biological Science and Technology was founded and begun to offer a four-year bachelor science (B.S.) degree.
2007: The Graduate Institute of Biomedical Science was established to offer a two-year master science (M.S.) degree.
It has been thirteen years since the department of Biological Science and Technology was founded, from three professors (in the beginning) to eleven now, from one office to our own floors, from academic research to millions of budget for research center (protein and healthcare centers), from on-campus internship to cooperation with outside research center, even abroad—such as oversea academic training program with Purdue University, Ohio State University, and University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, USA. All of these are attributed to the faculty’s efforts. As the development of the international biological technology trend, there are several goals in the coming future:
- To establish the graduate school of Biotechnology.
- The cooperation with the biotechnology industry.
- To promote the international academic integration.
- To improve the class quality and long-distance learning.
Once again, I really appreciate all the efforts everyone made, hope these will bring a new milestone in the future.
Educational Objective and Characteristics
The Department was established in 2002 as a four-year certificate undergraduate program for laboratory and biological industrial technologists. Due to the wide scope of biotechnology, the Department integrates the University’s development goals and available industrial resources to focus its education on biomedical technology, including gene therapy, protein engineering, biological drug research and development, bioinformatics, etc. The Department enhances research capacity and educate and train students as professionals in the biomedical technology and bioinformatics.
The objective of the Department is to train the students to meet the need of biomedical industry in Taiwan. Thus, the Department has designed two basic abilities and two applications for students, including:
- Genetic engineering and protein engineering: purification and modification of enzymes, monoclonal antibodies, and the technique to scale-up the product. (Ability A)
- Biochip and bioinformation application: sequence analysis and application of this tool for structural prediction, simulation and alignment. And have basic concept for the design of biochip platform. (Ability B)
- Molecular medicine: studies for local transmitted disease, design for molecular medical diagnostic test. (Application A)
- Chinese herbal research: the extraction and separation of Chinese herbal effective fractions. (Application B)
Departmental Required Courses
Our four-year undergraduate required courses included: microbiology (with experiments), biochemistry (with experiments), molecular biology (with experiments), cell biology, cell culture (with experiments), special lecture for biotechnology, protein engineering, biochemical instrumental analysis, pharmaceutical science and industry, molecular gene transfer and its applications (with experiments), bioinformation (with experiments), English proficiency test, kit development for molecular research (with experiments), processing engineering and its scale-up technique, development of biochip and its applications (with experiments).
There are eleven full-time and several part-time teachers in the Department, including fifteen teachers with Ph.D. degree and four teachers with master degree.
Most of them are possessed good experienced stuff in biotech companies (covering Academia Silica, biotech companies from Tainan Science-based Industrial Park, Taiyen Biotech Co., Ltd, Taiwan Sugar corporation, pharmaceutical works/drugs manufacturing company, Asiagene company, etc). Thus, they can help students learn more special and practical skills. Above all, the Department attempts to setup a complete and satisfactory learning environment for each student.
Future Career Paths and Perspectives
- Work at industrial companies related to biotechnology and biomedical or pharmaceutical sciences.
- Work at academic and research institutes related to life sciences.
- Apply for civil service exams related to biology and biotechnology.
- Work as teachers of senior high, junior high or elementary schools after obtaining the teacher qualification.
- Pursue advanced studies in graduate institutes: domestic or foreign institutes related to biotechnology.
- Attend school of post-baccalaureate medicine and school of post-baccalaureate Chinese medicine.